Monday, July 4, 2011

Persistence: Massage School, and Anne's Piecework

During a break from school this week, I spent a few days with my good friend Anne Parker in Kerrville.  As I drove home to Austin across the parched Hill Country, I thought about the parallels between machine piecing and hitting the books again in "later life".    Anne is a perfect example of tenacity in piecing, as well as an artist with an exquisite eye for color gradations - as you can see by these photos of two of her quilts' currently on view at the Kerrville Art and Cultural Center through the end of July.  It's a joy to have good friends who are also addicted to this passion for creating work at the sewing machine.  What does it take to create successful large compositions with the building blocks of such tiny pieces? I say it's persistence, and lots of repetition; practice.

Same thing with school.  I never thought I'd be going back to school at this ripe "old" age, but persistence will get me through.  And I must say, us Aries women have really gotten this persistence thing down. So anyway, seeing Anne's work this weekend reminded me that we're lucky to have this community of persistent seekers - whether it's women artists, or fellow students at massage school.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment